The Great Ocean Road Self Drive
Travel to one of Australia's most beautiful routes along the Great Ocean Road, visiting Melbourne, Apollo Bay, Mt Gambier, Adelaide and more!
We have packaged together a full holiday to South Australia including flights, car rental and accommodation visiting major attractions in the area to make the journey memorable.
- The Great Ocean Road
- The Twelve Apostles, Loch Ard Gorge & London Bridge
- Mt Gambier
- World Heritage town of Strathalbyn
Arrive in Melbourne and spend the day at leisure. This evening you could opt to dine aboard the Colonial Tramcar Restaurant. Overnight in Melbourne.
Pick up your car at the City Depot and drive on to Ballarat. Amongst the many attractions here is Sovereign Hill, a theme park re-creating the old gold rush days. Overnnight in Ballarat.
Approximate distance: 112 km/ 70 mi. Estimated journey time: 1hr 15mins.
Travel to Geelong, where you join the Great Ocean Road, one of Australia’s most spectacular and scenic drives. Drive to Apollo Bay via Bells Beach, the world-famous surf beach. Overnight in Apollo Bay.
Approximate distance: 166 km/ 103 mi. Estimated journey time: 2hrs 20mins.
Today you travel via Port Campbell to Warrnambool. Some of the best sites here include The Twelve Apostles, Loch Ard Gorge and London Bridge. Overnight in Port Fairy.
Approximate distance: 187 km/ 116 mi. Estimated journey time: 2hrs 35mins.
Drive onto Portland, the oldest settlement in Victoria, and on to Mt Gambier, known for its two famous attractions – the Blue Lake and the cave in the centre of the city. Overnight in Mt Gambier.
Approximate distance: 155 km/ 96 mi. Estimated journey time: 1hr 45mins.
Depart Mt Gambier for the seaside town of Beachport before driving on to Robe. The museum and historic buildings here are worth exploring. Overnight in Robe.
Approximate distance: 130 km/ 80 mi. Estimated journey time: 1hr 25mins.
Proceed on to Victor Harbour. One of the best known landmarks on the south coast is Rosetta Bluff, a natural rock formation that dominates the skyline just west of the city. Overnight in Victor Harbour.
Approximate distance: 353 km/ 219 mi. Estimated journey time: 3hrs 50mins.
Drive to the McLaren Vale, home to the famous Hardy and Sea view wineries, before you drive to Adelaide. Drop your car at Adelaide Airport from where you take a flight to Perth and connect to your return flight home.
Approximate distance: 83 km/ 52 mi. Estimated journey time: 1hr.
- Return flights from South Africa to Melourne
- 7 nights’ accommodation
- 7 day car rental from day 2 (Hertz SCAR Group S with max cover)
- Room tax, services charges, airport departure tax and fuel surcharge
- Domestic Flight from Adelaide - Melbourne *
- All Meals
- Excursions, tours & Entrance fees
- Travel Insurance (compulsory)
- Items of Personal Nature
- Melbourne - Clarion Suites Gateway Melbourne
- Ballarat - Comfort Inn Main Lead or similar
- Apollo Bay - Comfort Inn the International or similar
- Port Fairy - Comfort Inn Port Fairy or similar
- Mt Gambier - Comfort Inn Silver Birch or similar
- Robe - Best Western Melaleuca Motel and Apartments or similar
- Victoria Harbour - Comfort Inn Victor Harbor or similar
Peak season surcharges & block out dates may apply during school holidays and public holidays. Prices are subject to change due to increase in airfare, currency fluctuations & availability. Exact amount will be confirmed at time of booking as taxes, fuel levies & surcharges are approx & are subject to change. Terms & Conditions apply.